The services, resources, and facilities offered by the faculty's library and information services department are especially tailored to the needs of the iSchool community, and includes the unique and invaluable resource known as the Inforum, pictured below. No other school of Information Studies in North America offers anything like it!
What the Inforum can do for you
The Inforum provides specialized and customized academic library services for iSchool students, faculty, staff, while our membership within the larger University of Toronto Library system offers the breadth and depth of resources of the third highest ranked academic library in North America. Our physical collection is the most comprehensive of its kind, supporting all areas of the iSchool information studies and museum studies curricula.
Outside of your classes, we are the place at the iSchool where you will likely spend the most time. Located on the 4th & 5th floor of the Bissell Building, we are multi-use, multi-purpose space for:
- Studying – alone or in a group
- Computing – at networked workstations, or wirelessly, from your or our devices
- Socializing – meeting up with your peers, or attending special events such as the annual Employers' Showcase
- Exhibitions and displays related to the research and other work done by iSchool students and faculty
The Inforum is where you come to do things like:
- Borrow books and browse journals that are required or recommended reading for your iSchool concentrations and courses, through our Course Reserves service
- Access the other Inforum physical collections as well as the vast collection of e-resources available to all University students
- Sign out pieces of equipment from our technology loan collection: laptops, e-book readers, video cameras, and more
- Attend instructional workshops on how to do graduate-level research, and enhance your information literacy and technical skills. We offer over 3–4 dozen free workshops over the course of the year.
- Save time and enhance your research skills with our research consultations and reference services
- Use our workstations, which are equipped with all kinds of software
- Book a group study room for a 3 hour work session with your peers
- Print, scan, or photocopy
One of our key resources is our staff – our team of librarians, technicians, and iSchool student assistants are dedicated to student success. Our students can ask us anything, observe how we work, and learn first-hand about service provision in a busy information resource centre. We work closely with iSchool faculty to provide a seamless academic experience for students in all iSchool concentrations.
Hours of operation
Fall term: September 12 – December 16, 2016
- Monday – Thursday: 8:45 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Friday: 8:45 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Saturday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Sunday: CLOSED
Intersession: December 19, 2016 – January 8, 2017
- Monday Dec 19 – Tuesday Dec 20: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Wednesday Dec 21 – Sunday Jan 1: CLOSED
- Monday Jan 2 – Friday Jan 6: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Saturday Jan 7 – Sunday Jan 8: CLOSED